CD Digipak Research Task Text



The idea started with the cover to the novel Hyperion. (image 1)

The antagonist in the novel is a character called The Shrike. My initial ideas centered around a similar spikey design (this went nowhere). (images 2-4)

The next step involved researching ‘Hyperion’ and discovering a mythological link, hence the next step image wise. (images 5-8) The most striking images were those relating to ancient statues of gods. (11-12)

Further research revealed an Italian comic book and a Marvel character. The yellow and red colour scheme from the latter was most useful. (images 9-10).

All of these images got me thinking again about the mythological element (particularly the ancient gods) and the possibility of combining such an image with the red and yellow colour scheme.

At this point i spent some time looking at images of the sun, mainly trying to get a shade of red or yellow for the CD cover. (images 13-14)

The ‘Think Less' poster was a lucky find that got me thinking about a suitable layout. (image 15)

 The Mark Rothko painting and the painting ’Samurai Bloodbath’ by Jaysa (found on Deviantart) started me thinking about colour again. I was determined that the final image would consist of red, yellow and green in varying quantities. (images 16-18)

My research then led me to CD covers utilising similar colour schemes. The the selected here are: ‘Matangi’ by M.I.A., ‘Simmer Down’ by Survival and ‘The Very Best of Elvis Costello’ by Elvis Costello. (images 19-21)

See separate page for other CD covers. All fit in with the colour scheme I wished to utilised. Some contained the blocky font i was hoping to use in my final design.
At this stage I began giving consideration to a stencil font. See ‘Maxinquaye’ by Tricky.

I was lucky enough to find an image that corresponded to my mythological idea and contained the colours I sought (red and yellow). Combined with one of the three fonts I settled on I created several different versions of the Cd cover. One of the attempts can be seen here. i had attempted to mimic the layout of the aforementioned Elvis Costello Cd cover. (images 22-24)

My final design incorporated the Hyperion comic book colour scheme, the mythological character and a variation on the layout from the Think Less poster. (image 25)

Comments